Everyone wanted a pair of Adidas’ sneakers made from illegal fishing nets in 2015, which is why the company is mass-producing 1 million more to sell.
In 2015, Adidas partnered with Parley for the Oceans to create a shoe which truly was a step in the right direction for its company. The innovative sneakers were made out of discarded plastic waste and illegal fishing nets taken from the sea.
At the time, it seemed like everyone wanted a pair. However, Adidas only made fifty of the eco-friendly shoes. Because demand for the environmentally-responsible running shoes has been high, the company recently announced that it will make one million pairs by 2017. The best part? The first mass-manufactured lot (about 7,000) will drop sometime this month.
Each shoe features a knitted upper composed of 95% Parley Ocean Plastic – a patented term for the material. The remaining 5% is made from recycled polyester. Even the laces, cap base, heel webbing, heel lining, and sock-liner cover are made out of recycled materials!
Erik Liedtke, the group executive board member for Adidas, said in a statement:
“This represents another step on the journey of Adidas and Parley for the Oceans; we have not only managed to make footwear from recycled ocean plastic, but have also created the first jersey coming 100 percent out of the ocean. But we won’t stop there. We will make one million pairs of shoes using Parley Ocean Plastic in 2017—and our ultimate ambition is to eliminate virgin plastic from our supply chain.”
Cyrill Gutsch, the founder of Parley for the Oceans, concludes that it’s time to take action – not just talk about solutions.
“At this point, it’s no longer just about raising awareness,” said Gutsch. “It’s about taking action and implementing strategies that can end the cycle of plastic pollution for good.”
Learn more by visiting Adidas x Parley for the Oceans.
What are your thoughts? Please comment below and share this news!
This article (Adidas To Make 1 Million Pairs Of Sneakers From Recycled Ocean Plastic By 2017) is free and open source. You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to the author and TrueActivist.com